Use the following as general rules for doubles.
- The better server serves first- Get off to a good start and this allows the stronger server to serve more times.
- Get your first serve in- It helps keep the pressure on your opponents and does not allow them to get a swing at your second serve.
- Serve down the middle- This limits the receivers’ angle by forcing them to keep the return in the center of the court. This also allows your partner the opportunity to poach.
- Hold serve- If you don’t lose your serve, it's hard to lose the match.
- Consistent returns- Get your returns back into play. Don’t give away points with your return errors.
- Take over the net- Use the position at the net to your team’s advantage by hitting angles and decreasing your chance of hitting the ball into the net.
- Talk to your partner- You and your partner must communicate to win. Period.
- The ball is always coming to you- By remembering this, you will rarely be surprised and you will remain intense and ready to play.
- Angle your body- Make sure to face the player who it hitting the ball. This will allow you to address the ball, have full vision of your opportunities and get your feet moving the right direction.
With these basic tips you will be ready to start working on controlling your side of the court and winning more matches.